Camp Mabry, Travis County, Texas
During September and October 2001, the Center for Archaeological Studies conducted an intensive 275-acre archaeological survey on the grounds of Camp Mabry. Camp Mabry, located within the city of Austin in Travis County, is one of the more significant bases for the Guard. Camp Mabry houses the headquarters facilities of the 49th Armored Division, and the Adjutant General's Department of Texas (AGTX). Camp Mabry was originally created in 1892 as the first permanent summer encampment ground of the Texas Volunteer Guard. The camp evolved over the next 20 years as the Guard was reorganized, and its training activities were subsequently developed under federal guidance. By 1913 the original 85-acre campground had grown to about 400 acres, and a number of permanent buildings and training facilities had been constructed.
The survey resulted in the discovery of one previously unrecorded archaeological site within the confines of Camp Mabry, and the data generated during this survey provided some important insights regarding historic and prehistoric occupations within the Camp Mabry project area.