Archaeological Investigations at the Levi Jordan Plantation State Historic Site, Brazoria County, Texas
CAS conducted limited test excavations at the Levi Jordan State Historic Site for the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department (TPWD). The Levi Jordan Plantation was established by Levi Jordan in 1848, and at its height, this antebellum sugar and cotton plantation sat on more than 2000 acres of rich river bottomlands in the Gulf Coastal Plains of Brazoria County, Texas. Survey and excavations were conducted during June and July of 2005. Excavations focused on areas within and around the main house with particular attention paid to areas of future development for interpretation and public access to the site. Excavations at the main house indicate an occupation extending from the antebellum period through the end of the 20th century. Numerous artifacts and features observed during the excavations provide valuable information about the historical development of the main house and site. These data will be utilized by TPWD for long-term stewardship, interpretation, and management of cultural resources.
Pictured (top) is the main house, and (bottom) archaeologists excavating between floor beams within the structure.